An Attorney Can Fight to Restore Your Gun Rights
Everyone has a past, but it should not prevent you from fully participating in hunting, visits to the gun range, or other activities where you might need to possess a firearm. If an incident in your past is inhibiting your ability to own a firearm, you may benefit from the help of a gun rights restoration lawyer. David M. Newman has been representing clients in this area of practice for over 20 years. If you meet the state's requirements for gun rights restoration, he can help you build a compelling case and file the appropriate documentation. Mr. Newman offers free consultations at The Rainier Law Group, PLLC, in Bellevue, WA. Simply call (425) 748-5200 or send our office an online message to schedule your case review.
Do You Need a Gun Rights Restoration Lawyer?
There are a variety of clients who we typically see for gun rights restoration cases. They include clients who:
- Have been convicted of a non-violent felony
- Have been convicted in a domestic violence misdemeanor
- Were involuntarily committed for mental health treatment
- Are subject to protection orders that are no longer necessary
Although gun rights restoration laws can help a majority of clients, there are some situations where the crime is too serious to pursue legal action.
Eligibility and Requirements
Gun rights are not automatically restored in the state of Washington. The only way to restore your gun rights is to file a petition with a county Superior Court. In order to be eligible for restoration of gun rights, you must be:
- Free of any pending criminal charges in Washington, other states, and any federal court
- Free of any court restraining order for domestic violence
- Free of convictions for class A felonies or felonies that carried a maximum sentence of 20 years
- Free of convictions for felony sex offenses
If you meet those requirements, you can most likely own a firearm again.
David, we really appreciate your knowledge and are grateful for your experience in helping us get my son’s firearms rights restored. Today, his Concealed Pistol License came in the mail! My son and I are happy we found a guy like you to help us get this figured out. Thank you!
- J.S., Spanaway
What to Expect during the Process
Upon contacting our firm, you will be scheduled for a complimentary consultation with Mr. Newman. During the case review, he will evaluate the specifics of your case and determine whether you are eligible for gun rights restoration. He will then assist you through the process, from start to finish, including:
- Filing a petition with the appropriate court
- Delivering your petition to the necessary parties
- Compiling information that shows you have met the legal requirements for restoration
- Communicating with the judge on your behalf
- Attending your hearing with you
- Composing your gun rights restoration order and preparing it for the judge's signature
- Filing signed documentation with the appropriate agencies on your behalf
It is important to remember that gun rights restoration does not expunge your criminal conviction from your record.
Why Choose David Newman?
Compared to pursuing a restoration of gun rights on your own, seeking the representation of a lawyer can help ensure prompt action and results. Mr. Newman has achieved highly favorable outcomes for his previous clients in similar situations. He is open and honest with every client and available at all times to answer phone calls or e-mails. To schedule your free case review, contact us online or call us at (425) 748-5200.